Thinking about selling your home in the near future? Looking for ways to set your home apart from the competition? The National Association of Realtors reports that good landscaping can increase the value of your home by up to 15 percent. That is nothing to sneeze at. For example the North Shore 2014 year-to-date median sales price for homes has been $320,000. 15 percent of $320,000 is $48,000. Home improvement expert Bob Vila says on his website that landscape design can actually add up to 20 percent of value to your home. Either way you do the math the result is remarkable for the value of your home. Here are some tips from Realtors and Bob Villa about increasing your home’s curb appeal with landscaping and hardscaping.
- Villa warns that all landscaping should be planned out not haphazard planting of a few plants or bushes.
- Create a focal point in the front yard that leads the eye to the front door.
- Raised flower beds and hardscaping define spaces and can amp up the color scheme.
- Create eye catching elements such as lush bushes flanked by colorful annuals or perennials.
- Install a patio with a fire pit to create an inviting focal point to make the area usable even in the cooler weather.
- Design a stone kitchen for fun nights of BBQing and dining under the stars.
- By designing clear paths and stonework the buyer will see clear areas to plant their favorite flowers and bushes.
- Beautiful stonework should replace old or worn-looking cement pathways to create a welcoming element.